Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
PO Box 8766, BWI Airport,
MD 21240-0766, United States of America
Tel: +1 (0) 410 8597111
IATA code: BWI
ICAO code: KBWI
BWI Arrivals today
About Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport arrivals
Baltimore/Washington International airport or BWI airport is located in the Eastern region of United States. It is also commonly known as Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall airport. The Baltimore flight arrivals are mainly serving Baltimore in Maryland. Along with this specific airport, Ronald Reagan Washington and Dulles International are the major airports serving D.C. Metropolitan area which is Baltimore-Washington. This airport is about 9 miles south of Downtown Baltimore and 30 miles of Northeast of Washington, D.C. as located in an unincorporated region of Anne Arundel County.
History of BWI airport
In the 1950’s, this airport was known as the Friendship International Airport and it includes a lot of early histories. When considering the history after 2000 to present, this airport terminals were renovated and expanded to increase BWI airport arrivals. It also integrated with another to make room for all international BWI flight arrivals of all airlines. This is why this Baltimore/Washington International airport has become the major operating airport of the area. This wonderful and unique facility created by URS Corporation which is opened on 22nd May, 2005. The name of this airport was again changed on October 1 of the same year as Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall airport to provide the honor to Thurgood Marshall who is the US Supreme Court justice who grew up in Baltimore.
In many films, this airport came in the backdrop. In the later 2008, the famous magazine called Health named this airport as the second healthiest airport in the entire United States. When considering the next year 2009, the airport had totally 6% increase of Washington Baltimore arrivals because of the proliferation of the discount flights. According to the survey in the same year, the quality of this airport service is really good and it is recognized by Airports Council International. Thus, it was the world’s top ranking international airport handling 15 to 25 million of passengers every year and kept increasing it’s Thurgood Marschall arrivals.
Facilities in Baltimore Washington International airport
Whenever you are considering the facilities in BWI airport, it totally includes 5 concourses with 73 gates for all BWI arrivals. But for all the international Baltimore flight arrivals are located in Concourse E. Most flights are operated by Southwest Airlines. It offers flights in the first three Concourses (A, B, C).
- Concourse A – This area has 11 gates.
- Concourse B – This concourse has 25 gates.
- Concourse C – Concourse C of the BWI airport contains totally 14 gates.
- Concourse D – It has 23 gates for BWI airport arrivals.
- Concourse E – This concourse E includes 4 arrival only gates and 7 arrival gates and all of them are international capable.
Terminal map Lower level arrivals hall:
When it comes to USO, it operates a lounge on the lower terminal level between the concourses E and D. This lounge described the club which is located near the D10 gate and it is also accessible to the pass members based on priority after Baltimore airport arrivals. When considering the British Airways, it contracts the Chesapeake Club in E concourse, near entry way to the concourse, mainly for the use by its club world and elite passengers. When considering the administration of the Maryland Aviation, it has its headquarters on the terminal building’s third floor.
Southwest Airlines is the airline which serve most BWI flight arrivals. They have dozens of flight destinations including the Caribbean and holiday places. Others are on the mainland in the US itself. Next to Southwest you will see Washington Baltimore arrivals from:
- Spirit Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Alaska airlines
- International Airlines are British Airways, Air Canada and Condor.
Destinations from Baltimore airport
When seeing the busiest destinations then they are all domestic flights. Most popular is Atlanta followed by the following airports:
- Fort Lauderdale
- Las Vegas
- Fort Myers Southwest Florida Airport
International Baltimore airport arrivals are to:
- San Juan Luis Munoz Marin Puerto Rico
- Aruba Airport
- Montego Bay
- Punta Cana
There are some other destinations in the Caribbean and Central America with just 1-2 flights a week.
Thurgood Marshall Airport Ground transportation
Directions to downtown Baltimore: Take Air Cargo Service Rd and Elm Rd to I-195 W for 0.7 miles. Take MD-295 N to Baltimore’s Russell St for 7.9 miles. Continue on Russell St. Take S Paca St to N Liberty St for 1.9 miles.
Directions to Washington DC: Take Air Cargo Service Rd and Elm Rd to I-195 W
for 0.7 miles. Follow MD-295 S and Baltimore-Washington Pkwy to US-50 W/New York Ave NE in Prince George’s County. Take the US-50 W exit from the Baltimore-Washington Pkwy for 26.2 miles. Continue on New York Ave NE. Drive to the L St NW in Washington for 5.8 miles.
- The airport offers a free shuttle service to the train station. From here MARC/Amtrak offers trips to various cities such as Washington DC and Philadelphia PA.
- The MTA Light Rail is an ideal way to travel to downtown Baltimore and possibly further north. A one way fare is $1.90. This Light Rail can be reached from the airport if you walk out of the baggage claim area at Concourse E.
- You can also travel by bus. MTA Bus Services offers these with bus numbers 75 and 107 that travel to Baltimore.
- Taxis: travel quickly and without purpose to your final destination? Then choose the taxi. These are ready on the Lower Level of the terminal when you walk out of the baggage claim or arrivals hall. The taxi is waiting at the doors 5 and 13. Another good option is to use App-Based Ride Services.
- BWI Marshall Airport has a separately located Car Rental Center. Free shuttle buses are ready to take you there. Not only for a pick up but also for a drop off. The address of this facility is 7432 New Ridge Rd., Hanover, MD 21076. Rent a car from NextCar, Sixt, Hertz, Enterprise, National, Thrifty or one of the other agencies.
Parking at Baltimore Airport
Parking is available at four locations:
- Hourly Garage: this is the closest and right in front of the terminal. This short stay parking costs $4 per hour and if you want to park for a whole day $22.
- Daily Garage: This parking garage is located directly behind Hourly Parking. You can park in this covered garage for only $12 per day.
- Express Parking: this is just a little further away and a good mid-term parking option for only $10 per day. Shuttle buses run from here to the terminal and back.
- Long Term Parking: This is the cheapest option to park your car with $8. It is a little further away and a shuttle service is also offered. It has a departure every 10 minutes.
Not a hotel directly at Baltimore Thurgood Marshall Airport but a few miles away in the BWI Business District. These hotels are also located along I-192 and MD-295 and are easily accessible.
- Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport
- Holiday Inn Baltimore Bwi Airport, an IHG Hotel
- BWI Airport Marriott
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, BWI Airport (Baltimore), MD
- Sonesta Simply Suites Baltimore
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Baltimore
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Baltimore
- Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore BWI Airport