Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport
Address: Minnesota, United States
Airport code: MSP
Elevation: 800 ft
Phone: +1 612-726-5555
Node for: Delta Air Lines, Sun Country Airlines
MSP Departures today
Discover Minneapolis St Paul airport departures
The airport was established in 1920 and had its first Minneapolis St Paul airport departures. Today, it is the upper Midwest region’s largest airport. It is 12th busiest when it comes to aircraft operations and 17th most active in terms of passengers. It is a joint civil-military in Minnesota located between the cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. The 4 runways and 2 terminals are located on 2,930 acres of land. The carrier with the largest market share is Delta Air Lines. They offer half of the flights to mostly other airports in the US but also Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Europe.
Domestic and international flights
- Phoenix–Sky Harbor
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Dallas/Fort Worth, and Fort Myers have most Minneapolis departures for domestic flights.
The airport offers flights to international destinations like the following:
- Punta Cana
- Puerto Vallarta
- Paris–Charles de Gaulle
The following airlines have MSP Airport departures from either terminal 1 or 2:
- Aer Lingus, Air France, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Boutique Air, Delta, Denver Air, Spirit Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, and United Airlines use Terminal 1 for Minnesota airport departures.
- Condor, Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, and Sun Country Airlines use Terminal 2.
Travelers can use the Light Rail Transit service to travel between the two terminals before Minneapolis flight departures in case you are at the wrong terminal. If you plan to use your car to reach the airport, you can pre-book a parking spot on the airport website or phone application.
Ground transportation Minneapolis airport
The taxi service is widely used by passengers because of its convenience. Once out of the terminal, you quickly get into a taxi on your way to your final destination. The taxis are waiting at Level 1. There is a taxi starter booth that will help you to arrange a taxi. At Terminal 2, this is at Ground Level of Purple Ramp parking. The route to St. Paul will cost about $35 and to Minneapolis $45.
You can also opt for App-Based Ride Services. Travel cheaper than a taxi with, for example, Lyft or Uber. At terminal 2 the pick up is at Ground Transport Center. For terminal 1 you need to go to Level 2 of Green Parking Ramp.
Airport Car Rentals: From Terminal 1, go to Silver Parking Ramp. This can be reached by tram via Level T. Several car rental companies such as Avis, Dollar, Enterprise, Alamo etc. are located there. At terminal 2 there are also counters located across the terminal building.
Travel by bus. There is a City Bus Service with a drop off and pick up at Level 1 of Terminal 1. The company Jefferson Lines offers a bus service to different surrounding states like Iowa, Dakota, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming and more.
Terminals at Minneapolis St. Paul Airport
- Terminal 1: this is the largest terminal of the two with 117 boarding gates spread over 7 different concourses. On Lower level, transport is by Tram to terminal 2. Level T is Tram/Ground Transport. You can take the Tram to the Blue, Red and Silver car parks. From there you can continue your journey by Metro to the center of the city. On Level 1 is baggage claim. Level 2 is the start of your journey before check-in. If you walk through the Security Checkpoint after checking in, you will arrive directly at the Minneapolis departures hall. Airlines that most frequently use this terminal are:
- Air Canada
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Spirit Airlines
- United Airlines
- Terminal 2: Level 2 for all Minneapolis Airport departures at this terminal. You first go to level 1 for check-in and through security checkpoint 1 or 2 at level 2 before you are able to go to the gates and board the plane. There are a total of 14 gates available. Baggage claim area is on the same floor as ticketing on the left side of the terminal. The most well-known airlines operating here are:
- Sun Country
Terminal 2 and parking map
- Terminal 1 Hourly parking: the first hour is $5 and after that it becomes $3 per hour. There is a maximum rate of $28. You can quickly walk from the garage to the terminal via a skyway. Take into account a vehicle clearance of 7′. The location is at Gold Ramp Level 3.
- Terminal 1 Daily parking: for all other locations at terminal 1 you can opt for short term parking. Prices are the same as Hourly parking at this terminal.
- Terminal 2 Hourly parking: ideal for short-term parking. The first hour is $5 but after that it becomes $3 per hour. The maximum rate is $36 per day. This parking garage is also connected to the terminal via a skyway. The vehicle clearance is 8’2″.
- Terminal 2 Value parking: if you want long-term parking, you can go here. This is the cheapest option with a maximum rate of $21 per day. The vehicle clearance is 6’10”. There is a possibility to charge your electric vehicle at Level 7 or Orange Ramp.
Want to stay right at the airport? You can do that at terminal 1. The InterContinental Minneapolis – St. Paul Airport Hotel is located directly on the property and ideal for an overnight stay if you have an early departure for example.
Terminal 2 is a little further away. It may be helpful to choose another hotel that is slightly closer. In most cases an airport shuttle bus service is offered. Some options:
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Airport
- Marriott Minneapolis Airport
- Radisson Blu Mall of America
- JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America
- Element Bloomington Mall of America
Minneapolis passenger statistics
As per data released by the Metropolitan Airports Commission, MSP handled 62 percent fewer passengers in 2020 compared to numbers from 2019. In 2019, the airport handled 39 million passengers, while in 2020, the number dropped to 14.2 million passenger MSP departures. When it comes to data for takeoffs and landings, the airport logged 244, 911 in numbers.
The top five airlines that dominated the airport operations in 2020 were Delta, Sun Country, American Airlines, Southwest, and United. During the pandemic, Sun Country witnessed an increase in their number of passengers and Minneapolis departures, while Delta’s total share of passengers at MSP declined.
Several flights remain suspended due to the pandemic. It is advisable to check your airline website or Minneapolis Airport departures schedule before leaving for the airport.
Measures for ensuring passenger and employee safety
Wearing a mask is mandatory on the flight but also before Minneapolis flight departures while at the airport. Officials may ask passengers to adjust their masks to confirm their identity during the screening process. Travelers are required to scan their own boarding passes to minimize contact. So, using electronic passports and boarding passes can be best.
At present, there are airline-specific check-in recommendations in place and applicable fees. So, checking the same on your airline website can be a good idea. Then, ensure you know the terminal for your plane and the areas where the airline’s bag-check and ticketing services are located. MSP officials recommend international travelers reach the airport at least 2.5 hours to 3 hours before the flight and 2 hours before domestic MSP flight departures. Global Entry interviews are available at both terminals for international travelers.
If you are looking for quiet seating areas, there are two options at Terminal 1 (Mezzanine Level). You can use the same for resting, reading, meditating, or offering prayers. Travelers can also enjoy MSP Airport Wi-Fi in the form of a complimentary four-hour session.
Restaurants at both terminals have contact-less ordering, pickup, and delivery systems in place to ensure traveler and employee safety.
A free COVID-19 testing site is functional at Terminal 1 for people who have Minneapolis Saint Paul departures; the facility is open to all. The test takes 15 minutes, and results can be emailed to travelers.