Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole
73-200 Kupipi Street, Kailua-Kona,
HI-96740-2645, United States of America
Tel: +1 (0) 808 3293423
IATA code: KOA
ICAO code: PHKO
KOA Arrivals today
About Ellison Onizuka Kona international airport arrivals
The International Airport of Ellison Onizuka Kona (IATA: KOA) is near Hawaii County, Island of Hawaii. The airport serves the township of Kailua-Kona and Leeward (west) Hawaii, with resorts in the districts of North Kona and South Kohala. In 2017-2021, it is with a small primary business service, in the Federal Aviation Administration’s National Plan (FAA).
The tourism-focused on the eastern part of Hawaii and Hilo, before the expansion of the airport in the 1970s to increase Kona flight arrivals. Tourists flew to Hilo from the Kona side of the island and went all over the island. Although the Royal Kona Resort was completed in 1968, it does not have roads other than a large airport at the Kona Village Resort. It helped move tourism from eastern Hawaii to western Hawaii when the airport opened in 1970 for KOA airport arrivals. When the 1960 tsunami destroyed all coastal hotels, Hilo’s tourism was already a success.
Top routes from KOA
- HNL – Honolulu
- OGG – Kahului
- LAX – Los Angeles
- SFO – San Francisco
- SEA – Seattle
- SJC – San Jose
- SAN – San Diego
- OAK – Oakland
- PHX – Phoenix
- YVR – Vancouver
There are still a few more escape routes, mainly to the west coast of the US. There are also daily short flights to Lihue. Before the pandemic, there were also flights to Tokyo–Narita with Japan Airlines, but these have been cancelled. Furthermore, there are only international flights to Canada. Other possible destinations in the US:
Airlines with flight arrivals
The following airlines have Kona arrivals:
- Alaska Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- Southern Airways Express
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
Terminals at Kona Airport
Boarding Gate 1 to 5 of Kona Airport is at Terminal 1. It is on the right-hand side of Terminal 2. At the entrance, there is a ticket and an entrance lobby. The Onizuka Space Centre, at the center, separates the two divisions. Note that the safety control point to the boarding area for each zone is measured.
Services: counter of information and other equipment. Once the security check is cleared, restaurants and cafes are available. Customs and luggage collection in the Kona arrivals area.
Terminal 2 is for KOA flight arrivals at the gate 6 to 10. The terminal has a ticket and an entrance lobby, a computer desk, a luggage rack, a restaurant, and a hotel desk. There is one baggage storage facility, followed by the security checks, the Hawaii Airlines Lounge, and the Boarding Gates 6-10.
Avoid the check-in line by checking in online:
- Check-in Mobile: Check your mobile or tablet 2 to 24 hours before your flight to check in for Kona airport arrivals.
- Check in-app: Reserve and verify your flight status with our Android and iPhone apps.
- Check-in kiosk: Check-in at all airports throughout the Alaska Airlines system using our check-in kiosks.
- Check-in Ticket Counter: Our Customer Service Agent can always help you by personal check if you are traveling on a paper ticket or need additional help when you check out on the departure date. Please note that only within 4 hours of departure, checked luggage will be accepted.
As check-in procedures are cleared, now passengers are moved to the airport lounge. Here from fast food to complete meals centers, free duty shops, ATM’s, WI-FI, and many more. Passengers must enter the boarding gate 20 minutes to 1 hour prior.
After the KOA arrivals at the airport, you have to undergo a security check. There are two small open-air terminals at Kona International Airport with limited services. There is a snack bar and air-conditioned restaurant at every terminal in the airport.
On both sides of the aisle, there are newsstands and gift shops. Flight schedules dictate the service run time. There is WiFi for helping to spend time after Kona flight arrivals waiting on your baggage. You can access the airport’s premium lounge if you’re not willing to pay. For location and access information, see the Airport Lounge in the following guide.
Directions: many hotels are located on the west coast. For that you will have to take the Queen Kaahumanu Highway/HI-19 north or south. South towards Kailua, and Kahaluu-Keauhou and north towards Puako. There are also many lodgings in and around Hilo. The travel time from the airport is 1:30 hours and 80 miles. Head west on Keahole Airport Rd towards Kupipi St. Take HI-190, Daniel K. Inouye Hwy and Saddle Rd to Ponahawai St in Hilo in 1 hr 28 mins (75.5 miles)
- Taxi: taxis are waiting outside to transport you in front of the terminal when you walk out of the arrivals area. Estimated fares:
- Kailua Kona Town $25
- Volcano/Hilo $300
- Captain Cook $58
- Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort/ Keauhou Beach Hotel $35
- Hilton Waikoloa Village/Waikoloa Marriott $50
- Waimea $100
- Shuttle: there are counters for a Shuttle Service at the baggage claim.
- Car rental: shuttles are waiting in front of the terminal when you walk out of the baggage claim area. These will take you to the location where you can pick up the rental car. These are the following car rental agencies: Enterprise, Dolar, Budget, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Alamo and National.
- Parking: You can also easily park at the airport where the first 15 minutes are free. Ideal for a pick up or drop off. After that it costs an average of $2.00 per hour with a maximum rate of $15 per day.
There are hotels in various places on the island. The main ones are on the west coast south of the airport. Some good hotels/resorts across the island:
- Fairmont Orchid
- Ma’ukele Lodge
- Ka’awa Loa Plantation
- Kona Magic Honu Room
- Kona Seaside Hotel
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalaic
- Opens in new window
- Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club Kohala Suites Waikoloa