Washington Dulles International Airport
Address: 1 Saarinen Cir, Dulles, VA 20166, United States
Phone: +1 703-572-2700
Airport code: IAD
Elevation: 312 ft
Junction for: Southern Airways Express, United Airlines
Serves: Washington metropolitan area, Northern Virginia, Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Awards: Twenty-five Year Award
Opened: November 17, 1962
IAD Arrivals today
About Washington Dulles international airport arrivals
The airport is located in the eastern US. Washington Dulles International Airport. The international airport code is IATA: IAD. Out of the three available airports is Dulles the most important one around Washington, D.C. Washington Dulles arrivals are by far the most of the area. The location is 25 miles west of the city.
The first flights at this airport took place in 1962. It was then named after John Foster Dulles. The main airline is United Airlines with a market share of 70% of the total number of flights. It offers routes to many cities in the US as well as to other parts of the world such as Europe, Asia, and Africa. There is 1 large terminal that is then subdivided into different parts. There are 4 runways of similar length with even a fifth in the pipeline. With almost 24 million passengers in 2010, is a medium sized airport. It still is over the years with almost 25 million passenger Dulles Airport arrivals.
Top routes from IAD
- LGA – LaGuardia
- ATL – Atlanta
- CLT – Charlotte
- DEN – Denver
- EWR – Newark
- DTW – Detroit
- LAX – Los Angeles
- ORD – Chicago
- SFO – San Francisco
Terminal at Dulles Airport
The airport consists of four parts. Main Terminal where you check in.
IAD Airport has a large main terminal that connect to 4 different piers (A, B, C and D). In total there are even 123 gates for all IAD airport arrivals.
- Pier A mainly serves United Express, Air China, Copa Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines.
- Pier B is mainly in use by Aer Lingus, Air India, ANA, Austrian, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, South Agrican Airways, Tap Air Portugal and Turkisch Airlines. Air France / KLM, British Airways, Etihad Airways, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic use Pier A or B.
- Pier C and D are in use by United Airlines to act as a hub for IAD arrivals. United Airlines carries the most passengers at Washington Dulles Airport with a market share of about 50%!
For departure you have to go to the top floor for check-in counters. The bottom floor is the hall for Dulles Airport arrivals where there is baggage claim and you are able to go through customs and continue your journey.
Dulles airport ground transport
Directions: If you want to drive to Dulles international airport by car there are two general options. From the south with the route 66 to the 50 and 28 or you can from the center via the state route 267.
- If you want to travel further by taxi from Dulles airport, these are ready just in front of the terminal at the curbside. Estimated costs:
- To city center/downtown DC/Washington DC: $63-71
- To Reagan National Airport: $68
- To Winchester: $122
- To Rockville: $69
- You can also travel by public transport from Washington Dulles airport. There are several organizations that offer routes. For example, with the Gairfax Connector you can go to Monroe park, Reston, and Space Museum. You can also travel further to the center of Washington with Metro bus 5A. Travel to Herndon and change at the Rosslyn Metro station. From there there are several lines to travel through. If you want to go to Blacksburg or Charlottesville, you can take this route with Megabus.
- Rental cars: The rental car agencies are located 1-2 miles from the terminal. There are free shuttle buses that can take you there. These are ready at curb 2c/2d. This can be reached by exiting the baggage claim and going down and exiting through 2 or 4.
- Ride app services: pick up for companies such as Uber, ALTO and Lyft is on the ground floor of the terminal. If you exit baggage claim level through doors 2, 4, or 6 and cross it, you will arrive at the pick up area.
There are several parking options at the airport. Parking directly in front of the terminal is called Terminal Parking. Just in front of it is Garage 1 and to the right is Garage 2. If you are planning a longer stay than a week, we recommend that you park your car at Economy Parking. Drop off is possible at the curbside but just not for Valet parking. You can also use the Cell Phone Lot when picking up passengers and you are too early.
Most of the domestic Dulles Airport arrivals come from Denver, Colorado. You could fly this route with the carriers Frontier, Southwest and United airlines. Los Angeles, San Francisco and Atlanta airport arrivals are other popular options.
If we look at most international IAD arrivals, London Heathrow comes to place 1 with 800,000 passenger Dulles flight arrivals. London is followed by:
Between Garage 1 and Cell Phone Lot next to the water is the hotel location of Washington Dulles Airport Marriott. This 3* hotel has an ideal location near the terminal and offers a free shuttle service. Especially for passengers on a business trip, international stopover or simply for those with a late arrival at the airport. A few miles away there are still a number of options to stay close to Dulles Airport. These include:
- Hyatt Regency Dulles
- Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Airport Herndon
- Hyatt Place Herndon/Dulles Airport-East
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Dulles Int’l Airport