Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport
Address: 100 Terminal Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315, United States
Airport code: FLL
Phone: +1 954-359-1200
Node for: IBC Airways, Silver Airways, JetBlue Airways
FLL Departures today
Fort Lauderdale International Airport Departures
The airport is located between the cities of Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. Not far from here at 20 miles is the city of Miami. The location is in downtown Broward County right on the coast. Other popular places such as Pompano Beach and Palm Beach are also nearby in the south of the state of Florida. The airport handles million of passengers a year with most domestic flights but also many to the Caribbean and Latin America.
The main airline is Spirit Airlines with a market share of more than 30 percent. Together with JetBlue, Southwest, Delta, and American Airlines, they account for a total of 86.7 percent of all flights. To achieve this, 4 terminals and 2 runways are in use. In 2021, 28,076,808 passengers used the airport.
Busiest flight routes
History of Fort Lauderdale Airport
The first Fort Lauderdale departures took place at Merle Fogg Field in the year 1029 on a former golf course. During World War II, the US Navy took over the airport and changed its name to Naval Air Station (NAS) Fort Lauderdale. A paved runway was made and a control tower was added.
NAS closed down after the war and Broward County took over the airport. It took until 1953 before the first commercial flights were started. The first departures went to Nassau. A few years later, flights also came to Washington and Idlewild. In the years that followed, more and more airlines and air routes were added. From the early 1970s, there were nonstop flights to many cities across the US.
In 2005 there was a hurricane that caused a lot of damage. Fort Lauderdale Hollywood Airport was forced to close for 5 days.
There are still many airline companies that provide departure flights from Fort Lauderdale Airport despite the fact that many international flights have been canceled. Those are indeed rare during the Covid crisis, however, the domestic Ft Lauderdale departures are still generally operated pretty normally.
That’s because the restrictions are not very hard when it comes to flights within the United States so the passengers can usually meet the requirements and fly with just minimal obstacles.
Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airlines, and Spirit Airlines are, for example, some of the firms that commonly have Fort Lauderdale airport departures. They provide FLL departures to different locations within the US territory so you might consider one of them if you need a domestic flight. There are, however, other airline company flights available as well so you do not necessarily need to limit your search just to these firms. Some have their offices at this airport so you can visit such places due for different purposes. If you need any kind of advice, suggestion, or information, those are the right places to turn to. They can also sell you air flight tickets so you can purchase those in a comfortable manner.
The available airlines have their ‘own’ place at the airport with a specific location. Please see the following list before you are heading to the airport for departures:
- Terminal 1:
- Concourse A: Southwest, Bahamasair and Air Canada (arrival)
- Concourse B: Southwest
- Concourse C: WestJet
, Western Air, United Airlines, Silver, Bahamasair, Alaska and Allegiant
- Terminal 2:
- Concourse D: Delta Air Lines and Air Canada (departure)
- Terminal 3:
- Concourse E: Spirit, JetBlue, Sun Country, Flair, Azul, Avelo, and American Airlines
- Concourse F: Spirit, and JetBlue
- Terminal 4:
- Concourse G: Spirit, JetBlue, Air Transat, Norse, Copa, Caribbean, Aviance.
Fort Lauderdale domestic flight routes
The companies regularly have Fort Lauderdale departures to all big cities in the United States. Some of the places you could fly to:
- Nashville, TN
- Tampa, FL
- Detroit, MI.
There are flights to those destinations from this airport on a daily basis, and you can track them in real-time. Different airlines might use different terminals because there are four exits of this kind.
International flight routes
The international routes are in most cases to the Canada, Caribbean or Latin American countries. Most international FLL airport departures are with:
Flights to Canada (Toronto and Montreal) are in most cases operated by:
- Air Canada, Sunwing, WestJet and Air Transat.
Other popular destinations are:
- Port-au-Prince in Haiti
- Montego Bay in Jamaica
- San Jose in Costa Rica
- Cancun in Mexico
- Havana in Cuba
- Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic
- Bogota in Colombia
- Lima Jorge Chavez
- Bogota El Dorado
- Medellin Jose Maria Cordova
- Cartagena Rafael Nunez
- Oranjestad Queen Beatrix
- St. Croix Henry E. Rohlsen
- St. Thomas Cyril E. King
- San Juan Luis Munoz Marin
- Punta Cana
- Santiago de los Caballeros Cibao
- Freeport Grand Bahama
- San Jose Juan Santamaria
- San Salvador
- Guatemala City
To stay in a hotel near the airport you will have to take a short shuttle service or taxi. However, there are many possibilities. Some highlighted:
- Wyndham Garden Ft Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
- Tru by Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport
- Hotel Dello Fort Lauderdale Airport, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
- Le Méridien Dania Beach at Fort Lauderdale Airport
- To downtown: Take I-95 North or U.S. 1 North
- To Miami: Take I-95 South or U.S. 1 South
Pick up and drop off can be done in front of the terminals. Make sure to use the Cell Phone Lot first if you are too early for a pick up. You are not allowed to park at the curbside.
- Taxi: there is signage to the taxi podiums at all terminals. It’s an easy way to get to your hotel or own place. An alternative is to use a ride share.
- Public transport: There are Broward County Transit (BCT) buses with daily schedules. Walk to the Rental Car Center in parking garage Cypress. You can also use the Tri-Rail buses. These drive to Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade County, among others. For that you first have to take a free shuttle bus to the airport station at Dania Beach. The shuttle buses are waiting at terminals 1 and 4.
- Car rental: there is a Rental Car Center (RCC) at the airport for a dozen agencies. This is located in the Cypress Garage opposite terminal 1. There is a walkway from the terminal. If you need to travel from or to another terminal, you can use the free shuttle buses. The pick up area for these buses is on the baggage claim level. In addition, there are many more rental car agencies located outside the airport. To reach it you will also have to go to the RCC and take a courtesy shuttle there at zone G. Then you have more options in addition to the well-known Alamo, National, Fox, Enterprise.
There are actually two options for parking; short term parking and long term parking. This is possible in one of the three available garages located in front of the terminals. Short Term is only available in the Hibiscus Garage on Level 2 and Palm Garage on Level 1. All other Levels and HCypress Garage is Long Term. With a maximum of $3 per hour you can park anywhere. Short term per day is $36 while long term is a lot cheaper with a maximum of $15 per day.
About covid at fort lauderdale airport
However, it is necessary to keep in mind the Covid crisis has caused serious troubles for travelers on the entire planet so this airport is not an exception when it comes to that rule. That’s why you might be obligated to prepare a negative Covid test in order to get permission to enter the airplane before Ft Lauderdale airport departures. Some countries require such tests so you cannot cross the borders with the appropriate medical documentation of that kind.
All passengers and visitors of the airport are obligated by the law to wear face masks all the time. It is a necessary requirement at the moment you step on the front door. Sometimes, you will need to wear it on the airplane too while traveling toward the destinations.
The crisis has made a lot of mess so the measures are helpless at moments. It means some FLL airport departures might be delayed or even canceled due to different reasons related to the Covid troubles. That’s why it is very important to be informed well about the situation if you are planning to travel somewhere, especially if you go abroad.
Fortunately, the airport provides some interesting features you can use to find out more details about Fort Lauderdale flight departures. For example, an online flight tracker gives you a chance to follow the situation and each airplane in real-time.
You can also use an online FLL flight departures list to find out the current status of your flight as above. If there are any problems, those would be visible there.