Chicago O’Hare International Airport
Address: 10000 W O’Hare Ave, Chicago, IL 60666, United States
IATA code: ORD
Elevation: 650 ft
Number of runways: 7
Phone: +1 800-832-6352
ICAO airport code: KORD
Alias: O’Hare Airport
ORD Departures today
About Chicago O’Hare International Airport departures
O’Hare International Airport is located 13 miles northwest of the city of Chicago. The airport has hundreds of O’Hare departures to various different destinations around the world. It is also one of the largest airport in the world over 84 million passengers per year (2019). Due to corona, there were considerably less ORD flight departures but luckily increasing again. The owner of the airport is the city of Chicago. It is operated by Chicago Department of Aviation. In addition to O’Hare, there is another major airport nearby called Midway Airport. That airport focuses more on domestic flights, despite the fact that it also offers international flights. The location of the Chicago O’Hare is on 7,600 acres piece of land. It has 4 passenger terminals and even 8 runways. Carriers for passengers and cargo all over the world come here. Yet only 3 airlines together have more than 60 percent market share. Those are SkyWest, American and United Airlines.
Top routes from ORD
- LGA – LaGuardia
- PHX – Phoenix
- DCA – Washington Ronald Reagan
- ATL – Atlanta Hartsfield
- MCO – Orlando
- BOS – Boston
- EWR – Newark
Ground transportation Chicago airport
Traveling from the airport to the center and back can be done via various ways such as the train, bus, taxi, car rental or simply just your own car.
- There are a couple Chicago O’Hare departures by train to downtown area and Forest Park. Travel by train and take the CTA Blue Line. With this train you travel via various stops such as Harlem, Irving Park, Belmont, Damen, to Washington Station and Jackson Station. In the center of the city you can transfer to other trains and therefore also destinations. The journey starts at the domestic terminals. When you are at terminal 5 you can use the free shuttle bus to lower level or the domestic terminals.
You can also travel with Metra. This commuter train runs throughout the Chicago area. A departure is possible from the O’Hare Transfer Station. You get there by shuttle bus that also travels to the Multi Modal Facility (MMF).
- Traveling by bus is possible with numbers 250 and 330 that travel to the center. There is also an express airport service bus for more direct routes. If your final destination is not Chicago, there are also regional buses with ORD airport departures that run to Illinois, Iowa and Indiana.
- Taxi travel to the center takes 30 minutes and costs around USD 35, depending on your destination.
- You can rent a car at many car rental companies such as Hertz, Sixt, Thrifty, Dollar, Avis, Advantage and many more.
The most popular parking option is in the Main Garage. Here you have the choice to park on Level 1 Hourly or on the other floors (Daily Parking). Valet parking is also available. This Main Garage is located just in front of Terminal 2 and surrounding Terminals 1 and 3. There is also an uncovered outside lot in front of the garage divided into two parts, Lot B for Terminal 1 and Lot C for Terminal 3.
You can also park in a garage in front of the international terminal. This is Terminal 5, Lot D. This one is a lot smaller. If it is full, you can still go to the Main Garage and use a free shuttle to Terminal 5. Or park at Economy.
Economy parking is convenient for long term. These Lots are located near the MMF and can be reached with the AIRPORT TRANSIT SYSTEM (ATS). There is also a shuttle service that can take you from economy parking to the terminal.
Terminals at the O’Hare airport
The airport has 4 terminals. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are only for the domestic Chicago ORD departures (except United which also operates international flight departures at terminal 1) while Terminal 5 (the fourth terminal) is only in use for the international routes. Travel between the terminal can be on the Automatic Transit System (ATS) train that runs 24/7 every 5-10 minutes.
- Terminal 1: United, ANA (departure only), Lufthansa (departure only)
- Terminal 2: Jet Blue Airways, Delta, Alaska and Air Canada
- Terminal 3: American (all domestic traffic and international departures only), Iberia (departures only), Japan Airlines (departures only), Spirit, Cape Air, Boutique Air, and Denver Air.
Departures Map Terminal 5
There are several lounges at each terminal. Some of these include:
- United Club
- Polaris Lounge
- Delta Sky Club
- AA Flagship Lounge
- Admirals Club
- SAS Business Lounge
- JAL Sakura Lounge
O’Hare international airport departures
There are no fewer than 8 options for Chicago Airport departures regarding the runways. All of them are between 7,500 and 13,000 feet in length to accommodate most planes in size to land or take off. All those millions of people deal with almost 1 million aircraft movements a year. There is enough capacity to grow further. Looking at the terminals, you will not be surprised that most O’Hare airport departures are domestic flights. Many routes flown are to
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas Harry Reid
- Dallas / Fort Worth in Texas
- Austin Bergstrom
- Fort Lauderdale
- And many more!
If you have an international flight, no one will be surprised that it is to London-Heathrow, flown with American Airlines, British Airways, United Airlines and Virgin Atlantic. Other popular international options are as follows:
- Canada: Montreal Trudeau and Toronto Pearson
- Asia: Delhi, Taipei, Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo Narita, Tokyo Haneda, Doha, Abu Dhabi, and Dubai
- Europe: Istanbul, Madrid, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, and Dublin
- Mexico: Los Cabos, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico City, Cancun, and Panama City
- Caribbean: San Juan Luis Munoz Marin SJU, Punta Cana, and Montego Bay
The most obvious option is Hilton Chicago O’Hare Airport. This hotel is located just in front of terminals 1, 2, and 3. This hotel is also recommended if you have an international departure. There are many hotels to choose from in Chicago, including in the ORD Airport area. Most hotels can arrange a drop off at the terminal from which you depart with their shuttle service.
- Chicago Marriott Suites O’Hare
- Crowne Plaza Chicago Ohare Hotel & Conf Ctr, an IHG Hotel
- Sonesta Chicago O’Hare Airport Rosemont
- Hampton Inn Chicago-O’Hare International Airport
- Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O’Hare Airport
- Residence Inn by Marriott Chicago O’Hare
- Hyatt Place Chicago/O’Hare Airport
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago O’Hare Rosemont