Chicago Midway International Airport
Address: 5700 S Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60638, United States
IATA airport code: MDW
Altitude: 620 ft
Phone: +1 773-838-0600
Number of runways: 5
MDW Departures today
Get yo know Chicago’s Midway Airport Departures
If you are in the United States and want to visit an airport with varied commercial routes, you should use Midway departures in Chicago. This it is the second largest airport in the city after O’Hare airport. It focuses more on domestic destinations, but international flights are also carried out. These are mostly holiday destinations in the region of Central America and the Caribbean. The airport has a long existence with the start in 1927. Since then it has grown considerably and is therefore one of the busiest airports in the US. More than 20 million passengers are transported annually. This largely happens with Southwest Airlines which operates about 19 of the 20 flights. This all happens via a large terminal and five runways.
Chicago’s Midway Airport is one of the most used for giving you routes to:
Its international routes also use this airport to Guadalajara, Cancun or Montego Bay, so it’s convenient you know a little about it.
Midway Airport was built in 1923 and officially adopted the name “Chicago Air Park,” which was later changed. It is a fairly large airport located in Chicago, Illinois, made up of more than 130 hectares of land. The airport stands out from the rest because it can accommodate more than 20 million people a year; it broke a record with most Chicago Midway departures all time.
For the year 1926, the airport changed its name to “Chicago municipal airport” and was completely remodeled. Between the 60’s and 90’s, this airport also underwent some improvements by including new commercial and international flights to increase MDW flight departures.
The latest news that has been known about Chicago’s Midway airport is that some hangars were rebuilt in 2018. You can visit this airport today and notice some of these improvements that offer you greater comfort and safety while having Chicago Midway flight departures.
MDW airport ground departures
To get to Chicago’s Midway Airport, you won’t have to travel long from the city center. This airport is a few miles from the Loop so you can take a public bus or taxi. When you leave Midway Airport, you will have to choose from:
- Taxi: You can pay $35 to $40 to get to downtown Chicago or other destinations in the city. It might be a bit cheaper when traveling by Rideshare.
- Public transportation: they have Chicago Midway departures at the front of the airport, and your ticket can cost you from 1 to 5 dollars depending on where you are going. Travel further by bus or from the Metro/Subway Orange Line to downtown Chicago.
- Car rental: you can contact an agency that rents cars in Chicago to take your unit to the airport. These rental cars can range in cost from $50 to $100 a day for the number of days you want. The car rental offices are offsite next to the Economy Parking Lot. Pick up and drop off of your vehicle is over there. There are free shuttle buses that depart every 15 minutes between the terminal and the Car Rental Facility.
- Parking: The easiest option is to park in the garage just in front of the terminal. Here you have two options: Hourly on level 1 and Daily on the other levels. Hourly costs $4 per hour and has a maximum of $64. On the other floors, the daily rate will be lower by $40 total. If you don’t want to park short term but long term then Daily Lot (when it is open) or Economy Lot/Garage are better options. At Daily Lot you pay $30 per day. This is $15 at Economy. Please note that the maximum height of the car may be 8’2″ in the Economy garage. There are departures every 10 to 15 minutes from the free shuttle buses that are offered.
Location of Chicago Midway Airport
You can locate Chicago Midway Airport between 55th and 63rd Streets on Central Avenue and Cicero Street. Another way to get to the airport is by taking the highway “the loop” from the city center 8 miles away. As the airport is large, it will be difficult for you not to identify it and access it through its 43 available gates for MDW departures.
Chicago Midway Airport has five long runways for domestic or international Midway airport departures. This airport only has one terminal divided into three lobbies identified by A- B and C.
- Allegiant Air: Concourse A
- Avelo Airlines: Concourse C
- Delta Air Lines: Concourse A
- Frontier Airlines: Concourse C
- Porter Airlines: Concourse A
- Southwest Airlines: Concourses A and B
- Volaris Airlines: Concourse A
Terminal gate map
When you enter the terminal, you will have to take Midway departures with the following airlines:
- Allegiant Air
- Delta Air Lines
- Porter Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- Ultimate Air Shuttle
- Endeavor Air, among other airlines.
There are plenty of restaurants in the terminal. After arrival you can go to Cafe Descartes at baggage claim. In ‘Central Market’ there are a few nice places like Vienna Beef, Cafe L’ Appetito and White Sox Bar. At Concourse A you can go to Arama, Nuts on Clark, Pour House, Harry Caray’s and Big Shoulders Coffee. For some shopping you could go to Hudson News. In Concourse B there are also a number of places to eat or drink something. Think Big City Chicken, The Market, Dunkin Express, Big and Littles and Home Run Inn. There are some shopping places too.
You can give importance to Chicago’s Midway airport for its variety of commercial flights that will take you all over America. As an American citizen, you must know how important these air services are to reach your destination in hours. You can choose to travel with MDW flight departures to:
- Knoxville McGhee Tyson
- Punta Gorda in Florida
- Detroit Metro
- Atlanta ATL
- LaGuardia NY
- Albany ABL
- San Diego SAN
- Phoenix Sky Harbor
- San Francisco SFO
- Seattle SEA
- Portland PDX
- Oklahoma Will Rogers
- Las Vegas
- Washington DCA, among others destinations.
If your travel goals expand to international destinations, you can take MDW airport departures to:
- Toronto Canada
- Querétaro, Durango, Zacatecas, León, Guadalajara, and Morelia
- Punta Cana – Dominican Republic
- Panama City – Panama
Statistics of Midway Airport
The airport has grown in the last 20 years from 14 to more than 22 million passengers per year. That’s about 400 Chicago Midway departures. In 2020, however, there were only 8,853,948. Fortunately, the Midway departures are slowly rising again to grow back to the high numbers.
Travel in minutes to any of the available hotels near the airport. The following hotels offer a (free) shuttle service for the short route. So travel quickly to the airport if you have an early departure. Some good options because of the online reviews:
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago/Midway Airport
- Hampton Inn Chicago Midway Airport
- Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport
- Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport