Birmingham–Shuttlesworth International Airport
Address: 5900 Messer Airport Hwy, Birmingham, AL 35212, United States
IATA airport code: BHM
Altitude: 600 ft
Phone: +1 205-595-0533
Node for: AirMed International
BHM Departures today
Check out Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport departures
It is an international airport that currently does not offer international flights in 2021 since the pandemic in 2020. If you still want to travel internationally, you will often have to fly via one of the major airports such as Atlanta, Charlotte Douglas or Dallas Fort Worth. There are a total of about 40 direct flights within the US to carry 3 million passengers annually. With a relatively new terminal and two runways, everything is running smoothly.
The first BHM departures took place as early as 1928. With first flights to New Orleans, Dallas Love Field and Atlanta, more routes were slowly added. During the Second World War it was largely taken over by the Army Air Forces. As a result, expansions and innovations were added, such as an air tower and taxi runways. Today it is still a civil/military airport.
You can be at the airport from Birmingham downtown in less than 10 minutes. Use Interstates 20 (Atlanta) and 59 (Downtown, Tuscaloose) or you can use Interstates 459 and 65 (Huntsville, Montgomery).
- Taxi: when you walk out of the terminal, taxis are waiting on the ground floor. An alternative is a Limousine or Hotel shuttle which in most cases requires a reservation. This also applies to a Rideshare provider. The organizations Lyft and Uber are active in the region to pick you up at lower level.
- Car Rental: the car rental agencies are located opposite the terminal in the garage. The pick up and drop off parkings of these organizations are located a little further around 15th and 18th Ave.
- Parking: the options are hourly or daily parking. Parking per hour is 1 USD and daily parking costs 12 USD per day. Hourly at level 3 and Over-sized parking at level 1 is $24 a day. To park a bit cheaper than Daily you could go for Economy Parking at Airline Drive. Valet Parking is also an option at the airport.
Birmingham Shuttlesworth Airport terminal
Check with which airlines you have Birmingham Shuttlesworth airport departures to arrive at the right place at the terminal.
- Delta is located in Concourse A (ticketing in terminal across parking B)
- American Airlines in B (ticketing in terminal across parking B)
- Southwest and United Airlines in Concourse C (check-in at terminal across parking C)
The Shuttlesworth flight departures area for ticketing is at the upper level of the terminal.
Terminal map upper level
BHM Flight routes
Most Birmingham Alabama airport departures go to Atlanta, which is often used as a hub to other destinations in the US or abroad. The top routes from BHM:
- ATL Atlanta Jackson Hartsfield
- CLT Charlotte Douglas
- DFW Dallas Fort Worth
- IAH Houston George Bush
- DEN Denver International
- ORD Chicago O Hare
- DCA Washington Ronald Reagan Airport
- DAL Dallas Love Field
- MIA Miami – Florida
- PHL Philadelphia
There are some travel tips for BHM airport departures from the airport:
- It is advised to arrive 90 minutes before Shuttlesworth departures.
- Print out the boarding pass or keep it handy in your mobile phone.
- Check out the restricted items on tsa.gov before you go.
- Try as many cameras, jewelry, cash, and other valuables as possible in Carry-On.
- The ticket counters and curbside services start between 4:30 AM and 5:00 AM.
If you want to stay close to the airport, you can do that at the basic hotels Ramada and Holiday Inn. These hotels don’t get great reviews but it can be useful. If you want more luxury you can stay in the center of the city. This is still a short distance away with a time of 10-12 minutes by car. Then stay in one of the following hotels:
- Sheraton Birmingham
- Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Downtown-Tutwiler
- Elyton Hotel, Autograph Collection
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB
- Home2 Suites By Hilton Birmingham Downtown
- Hilton Birmingham Downtown at UAB
- Residence Inn by Marriott Birmingham Downtown at UAB