Albuquerque International Sunport Airport
Address: 2200 Sunport Blvd, Albuquerque, NM 87106, United States
Airport code: ABQ
Elevation: 5.354 ft
Phone: +1 505-244-7700
Hub for: Southwest and Ameriflight
ABQ Arrivals today
Check out Albuquerque International Sunport arrivals
ABQ or Albuquerque International Airport is a massive international airport serving in New Mexico, United States. This airport is particularly in the Albuquerque city area and also the largest Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Las Vegas CSA to regularly handling thousands of Albuquerque Sunport arrivals every year. It is situated in New Mexico’s Bernalillo County between the Sandia Mountains and Rio Grande.
Busy flight routes Sunport Airport
- Denver, Colorado
- Los Angeles, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Silver City, New Mexico
- Dallas Fort Worth, Texas
- Dallas Love Field, Texas
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Houston George Bush, Texas
- Salt Lake City, Utah
Airlines at the Albuquerque airport
The airport is serving as the focus airport of the Southwest Airlines who process most ABQ arrivals. It is also served with the several numbers of commercial domestic flights by:
- Alaska Airlines
- Advanced air
- American Airlines
- Allegiant Air
- Delta Airlines
- Boutique Air
- Frontier Airlines
- United Airlines
When it comes to the Cargo ABQ Sunport arrivals, it is serving the airport through the UPS Airlines, FedEx Express, Empire Airlines, South Aero and also Ameriflight.
As it is located in the city center, this airport is perfectly designed Class C airspace with the classification of extra military operations with ABQ Sunport arrivals area because of the connected air force runways of the United States.
Albuquerque Sunport Airport Terminal
You can find shops and restaurants within this airport including some of the national brands like Panda Express and Hudson News and Book Sellers before ABQ airport arrivals. It has regional gift shops and the local eateries such as Rio Grande Brew Pub & Grill, Black Mesa Coffee and some of the New Mexican Cuisine restaurants like Comida Buena and Tia Juanita’s before Albuquerque flight arrivals. As it contains the Pueblo Revival architecture and the low lying structure of the airport, it references the Hispano heritage & Tiquex in Albuquerque and also Nuevo Mexico roots and Pueblo roots in New Mexico. Initially in 1920’s, there were two private airports serving in Albuquerque named TWA airport that opened in 1929 and the Albuquerque airport in 1928 for Albuquerque arrivals.
- Terminal: Floor 1 baggage claim map
Why Albuquerque international airport is called Sunport?
- Most of the people don’t know why this airport in Albuquerque is called Sunport. It is basically lucky enough to have about 280 days of sun in every year thus the name of this airport is Sunport.
- Even though it was actually called the Albuquerque international airport, the name changed in 1994 as Albuquerque International Sunport.
- Additionally, it is very important to notice that there are 62 more airports available in the same New Mexico state for the public use. Among them, this Albuquerque airport only got this unique recognition as Sunport.
This Albuquerque airport always offers the friendly assistance to all types of passengers and is open 24 hours in all days. There is a special TSA security checkpoint available in this particular airport for the hours from approximately 4.30 AM to 11.30 AM. Every passenger has to remind that the airline check-in and also the baggage drop hours may differ based on the schedule of your flight.
Runways of Albuquerque Airport
There are three runways made of concrete for all ABQ flight arrivals:
- Direction 3/21 and 10,000 ft
- Direction 8/26 and 13,800 ft
- Direction 12/30 and 6,000 ft
Albuquerque Sunport Airport Destinations
There are mainly three main destinations and most Albuquerque airport have arrivals. They are:
- San Francisco
- San Diego
- Austin Bergstrom
- Baltimore Washington
- New York John F. Kennedy
About 50% of Albuquerque Sunport arrivals are operated by Southwest airlines. The numbers of passengers have fluctuated between 5 and 7 million per year for the last 30 years. The pandemic has caused the ABQ Sunport arrivals to drop significantly to 1.8 million. Fortunately, the number of ABQ arrivals will increase again in 2021, but the 5.4 million of 2019 will probably not be reached yet.
- If you want to use public transport you can take the bus to the center of Albuquerque. You will then have to pay attention to bus number Route 250 or Route 50. If you want to travel further by train, you also have to take one of those buses first to get off at the train station.
- Shuttle Service, Ride Sharing and Taxi: all good options for further travel. If you want to use Lyft or Uber, the pick up is by Door 7 after you have passed your baggage claim. Once out of the arrivals hall you will have to find a taxi to Door 2.
- Car rentals: the rental car center is located east of the airport, 1 mile away. The exact address is: 3400 University SE Albuquerque, NM 87106. There are arrivals every 5 minutes with free shuttle buses between the terminal and the Sunport Car Rental Center. Some car rental agencies: Budget, Hertz, Ace, Payless and Sixt.
There are three options for parking. This is directly in front of the terminal and in two places next to it. Park in front of the terminal in the Garage. This is covered parking with a maximum daily rate of $12. The first 10 minutes are free. This also applies to the other parking spaces. Then you have the Premium Economy Lot car park behind Parking Garage. This is a covered parking lot north of the Parking Garage. This costs $9 per day. The cheapest parking is at Basic Economy. Again the first 10 minutes free and a maximum of $7 per day. This is east of the other parking lots.
There are about twenty hotels within a radius of 2 miles. Some hotels with good reviews and a free airport shuttle are as follows:
- Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Baymont by Wyndham Albuquerque Airport
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque Airport
- Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport
- Staybridge Suites – Albuquerque Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Hampton Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport