Glasgow Prestwick Intêrnational Airport
107 Glasgow Prestwick Int Airport
Prestwick KA9 2PL,
Scotland, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 871 223 0700
Elevation: 20 m
Serves: South Ayrshire, East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire, Glasgow
IATA airport code: PIK
ICAO airport code: EGPL
PIK Departures today
Discover Glasgow Prestwick flight departures
Prestwick Airport is located 46 km south-east of the city Glasgow. The airport is exclusively in use by charter and budget airlines (Ryanair, Transavia and WizzAir). It is the second airport in the city after Glasgow International Airport. However, it only comes in at 5th busiest airports in the country. However, it is a large airport. There is 1 terminal and 2 runways available for all departures.
History Prestwick Airport
The airport started in the 1920s with a runway without many facilities. This was started by members of the Glasgow Auxiliary Air Force Squadron. Easterly facilities came slowly. The airport was taken over during the Second World War. It was temporarily used as a military base by the Royal Air Force during the war. Passenger flights did not start again until 1946. There were even transatlantic flights to New York. It seems that even Elvis Presley has been to the airport. That’s why a bar in the terminal is named after it. In the 1960s and 1970s, a new terminal building, control tower, was built and the runway was extended. During an airshow, the famous Concorde plane also arrived with a departure. It would eventually become a training facility for pilots.
In the year 1994 the Irish low cost airlines Ryanair started with the first flights to Dublin, London Stansted and Paris Beauvais. In the year 2001, it passed the mark of 1 million passengers per year. This grew to 2,421,000 in the year 2007. Since then, Ryanair decided to move more and more flights to the other airport in Glasgow.
- Vehicles & Parking: travel by car yourself and park easily at one of the car parks. There are three. Car Park One is the premium one. It is the closest and ideal if you are in a hurry or short term. Car Park Two is located next to the terminal. You will have to walk for 3 minutes to get to the terminal of Glasgow Prestwick airport. Then there is also Car Park Three. This is located a 5 minute walk and just a bit cheaper. This is definitely recommended if you want to park for more than 3 days.
- Drop Off and Pick Up: if you only want to drop off or pick up a passenger, you can use the terminal drop off and pick up. This is located in Car Park 1. You will have to pay 2 pounds for this, but then you can park for up to 30 minutes.
- Taxi: if you decide to travel further by taxi, these are ready just in front of the terminal. The company Streamline Taxis offers these.
- Buses and Coaches: Stagecoach Express has a service from the airport to Buchanan Street Station in Glasgow from early morning till late evening.
- Train: This is a good reliable option for traveling south-west to Ayr or Glasgow Central Station. The price for Glasgow Prestwick to the city center is 12 pounds. It takes about 45 minutes. If the journey from Prestwick airport starts by train you can get a 50% discount on your ticket when you buy it from the conductor. There is no ticketing office at the station.
Terminal and passenger stats
Currently, the terminal has a capacity to carry 2.5 million passengers annually. This could even be effectively expanded to 10 million. However, the Prestwick Airport departures are decreasing every year. The highest point in 2007 was 2,421,000 visitors to 2019 with only 640,455 Glasgow Prestwick passenger departures.
Flight routes Glasgow Prestwick Airport
The airport offers many Glasgow Prestwick departures for holidaymakers. Many flights go to the south of Europe and especially Spain. These are also largely seasonal flights and are mostly operated by Ryanair. There are also some scheduled flights. For example, there are PIK airport departures with Air France that go to Paris CDG airport.
The main cities of Spain where most Glasgow Prestwick airport departures will go are Tenerife-South, Malaga and Alicante. There are also Glasgow Prestwick departures to Portugal. Then you don’t fly to the famous Lisbon or Porto but to the holiday resort Faro. You can also fly to Italy during summer. There are some Prestwick flight departures to Rome Ciampino Airport and Pisa Airport. To complete the list of most popular destinations: