Glasgow Prestwick International Airport
Address: Aviation House, Prestwick KA9 2PL, United Kingdom
Phone number: 01292 511000
IATA airport code: PIK
ICAO airport code: EGPK
Alias: Prestwick Airport
PIK arrivals today
Check out Glasgow Prestwick flight arrivals
The airport is located north of Prestwick in Scotland and the city of Glasgow is 50 km east. It ranks 5th busiest airport in Scotland. The airport has increased passenger numbers in 1998 from 600 thousand to a 2.4 million a year later because several low-cost airlines. However, it was decided by Ryanair to have fewer Glasgow Prestwick arrivals and more at Glasgow International Airport. As a result, the numbers have fallen to the annual 6 to 7 hundred thousand passenger passengers per year. There is a terminal and two runways available for flights.
Top routes from PIK
Prestwick Airport History
The first PIK airport arrivals already took place in 1938. It served for the RAF during the Second World War. After the war, the first regular flights came to New York. There were two runways that were extended and upgraded several times with the latest technology in the decades after the war. A new terminal building was built in 1964. The airport is known for Elvis Presley who once made a landing there. In the year 2005 an enormous refurbishment was carried out at the terminal. The airport was sold by Infratil to the Scottish Government in 2013.
Flight routes Prestwick Airport
Most flights are still operated by Ryanair to mainly southern destinations in Spain. There are 5 out of 10 Prestwick flight arrivals from Spain in the top 5, led by Tenerife-South. There were 95,226 Glasgow Prestwick Airport arrivals in 2019 and there was a big decline in 2020 and 2021 in passenger numbers. In the year 2022 passenger numbers start rising again. Other top destinations:
Runways and terminal
The airport has 2 runways of 2,986 meters (9,797 ft) and 1,905 meters (6,250 ft) for Prestwick arrivals to transport hundreds of thousands of passengers through 1 terminal. If you want to eat or drink something, there are options before and after security. There is a bar and kitchen called Par + Eagle and a Elvis Presley Bar after security. There is also a possibility to shop tax-free. When you arrive at Prestwick Airport, go to the arrivals hall. There are two baggage claim belts to pick up your luggage. If you go through customs you can continue your journey.
Directions to Glasgow city centre: Take the A77 to the M77 in East Ayrshire Council. Continue on the M77 to Glasgow. Take exit 15 from the M8. Take the A8 and Ingram St to National Bank Ln.
- The airport has its own train station. There are Prestwick arrivals by train for €11.59 from Glasgow central station and Glasgow Queen Street. There are about 5 trains per hour. If you buy a train ticket from Prestwick Airport station at the conductor, you get a 50% discount.
- There is an express service by bus that operates from the airport to Glasgow Buchanan Street Station. There is a service between 6:25 AM and 10:40 PM.
- The taxi service is operated by Streamline Taxis. These are waiting outside when you walk out of the Prestwick airport arrivals hall.
- If you want to pick up or drop off someone, you can use the Pick Up & Drop Off area in Car Park 1. You can temporarily park there for £3 for up to 60 minutes. You could also stay longer and then the price slowly increases to a total rate of £24 for a day. If you want to stay a few days longer, this is £35 for two days, £46 for 3 days and rising to £90 for 7 days. It is not recommended to park in drop off & pick up for several days. If you still want to be very close by car, it is better to park in the other part of Car Park 1. This is just a bit cheaper and hardly further.
- Car Park 2 is next to area 1 on the right side of the road. It is a few minutes walk to the terminal. Ideal for 4 (£37) to 7 (£37) days of parking.
- Car Park 3 is on the other side of the A79 road. This is for long term parking. It is still easy and quick to reach within walking distance of the terminal. Here you can park from 3 days, but recommended from 7 days (£50) or longer (15 Days – £71). You must book in advance for this location.
There are not very many good options to stay near the airport. It can be very convenient to do that. Some options are as follows:
- Prestwick Holiday Park
- Sandhill House B&B, Troon
- Golf View
- Premier Inn Ayr/Prestwick Airport hotel
- Adamton Country House Hotel