East Midlands Airport
Location: Castle Donington, Derby DE74 2SA, United Kingdom
IATA airport code: EMA
Elevation: 93 m
Junction for: UPS Airlines
EMA Departures today
About East Midlands international airport departures
This page provides information about the flight times of East Midlands Airport in United Kingdom. Sea above for the arrival times for an overview of current arrival times.
East Midlands airport location
When you think of the area it serves EMA flight departures for people from Northampton, Leicester, Lincolnshire, Derby and Nottingham-Shire. The airport is a base for some low-fare airlines to southern Europe destinations. It also serves many East Midlands departures for cargo flights as second busiest in the UK. The owner of the airport is Manchester Airports Group.
History of East Midlands Airport
The first EMA airport departures took place in the second world ware by the Royal Air Force. This was in the year 1943. By then there were 3 runways for East Midlands airport departures together with some hangars. More than 20 years later it has been redeveloped to serve civilian passenger flights. The last two decades the airport had multiple renovations and some of the facilities were extended. That resulted in an big increase of EMA departures until Easyjet ceased its flights in 2010. Not far later the airlines Jet2 and Ryanair decided to increase their capacity to the airport. to slowly increase their EMA flight departures. That resulted in almost 5 million passengers in 2018 and 2019. Unfortunately the pandemic hit and threw them back to just under a million in 2020. Besides the passenger flights there is also a lot of cargo processed. It is actually one of the busiest airports for cargo East Midlands departures in the UK.
Airlines and destinations from Midlands Airport
Besides the earlier mentioned airlines (Jet2, Ryanair, Blue Islands, FlyBe) also Aer Lingus offer East Midlands flight departures to Belfast City and TUI Airways to the Spanish cities and some other south European places:
The busiest destinations with most EMA airport departures are also:
- Amsterdam Schiphol
- Faro FAO
- Palma de Mallorca
- Bergamo – Milan
- Gran Canaria
- Malta Airport
Ground transport EMA Airport
- Train: there is no train directly at the airport. You will have to travel to one of the surrounding train stations. The nearest is East Midlands Parkway train station at 5 miles. Further options include Long Eaton, Derby and Nottingham train station.
- Coach: there are departures with a coach near the terminal. Mainly the National Express Coach Services offer routes to various cities in the area and beyond.
- Bus: there are many options to many towns and cities in the area. Buses run to larger towns such as Leicester and Nottingham as well as smaller towns such as Ilkeston, Coalville, Derby, Shepshed and Loughborough. The bus services are operated by Skylink. There are some other options for certain destinations.
- Taxi: the company DG Cars offers taxi services for pick up and drop off just in front of the terminal.
- Rental cars: there are car rental agencies at the airport to rent a car. Some of these include Sixt, Budget, Acis, Europcar, National and a few others. The car rental area for pick up and drop off is next to Mid Stay Parking 3.
The small green area above yellow 1 is the Meet & Greet Parking. This is a valet service where you leave the car behind to walk straight into the terminal and check in. Another short term parking option are the Short Stay locations. These are the yellow areas in the picture. As you can see there are three different options. The same applies to the Mid Stay Parking options. Just slightly cheaper than Short Stay but still close to the terminal within walking distance. The red areas are Long Stay. This long term parking option is closed from November to March.
If you want to stay in a hotel close to the airport, we recommend the following two:
- Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport, an IHG Hotel
- Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Just a little further away but good options to stay the night:
- The Royal Oak
- Best Western Premier EMA Yew Lodge Hotel