George Best Belfast City Airport
Belfast BT3 9JH
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 2890 939093
IATA airport code: BHD
ICAO airport code: EGAC
BHD Departures today
Discover George Best Belfast City Airport Departures
The capital of Northern Ireland has two airports: Belfast City Airport, which is located in the east of the city, just 2 miles from the center. It’s about the same distance from Belfast International Airport, which is much larger.
The airport has been around since 1938, but the first real Belfast City flight departures for public transport were not there until 1983. Belfast City Airport was given the prefix “George Best” in 2006, after the Northern Irish football legend who died that year. There is a relatively new terminal since 2001 for Belfast City airport departures. Expansions were planned, including the runway. Because this delay was delayed in 2010, Ryanair decided to shift flights to surrounding airports. However, other airlines took over the places and flight routes from Ryanair, so that the numbers of passengers remained around 2,5 million.
Flight routes Belfast City Airport
The last 10 years there have been many shifts in airlines and routes. Unfortunately for Flybe and the airport itself, the George Best airport departures were discontinued in 2020 and went out of business. Fortunately, Ryanair and eventually others has announced it will return again in 2021. The airport’s growth is held back by all the restrictions it has. This is partly because it is so close to the city. For example, no flights are allowed at night and there is a limit of 45,000 Belfast George Best departures. Due to the disappearance of Flybe and the pandemic, the numbers of passengers fell significantly in 2020 from 2.5 to half a million passengers. Most BHD departures go to London-Heathrow with Aer Lingus and British Airways. Most destinations are regional to^:
- London Gatwick
- East Midlands
- Leeds Bradford Airport
KLM has flights to and from Amsterdam to Belfast City. Ryanair will offer Belfast City airport departures to the south of Europe from summer 2022 with destinations such as:
The airport is known for having the fastest throughput from check-in to the departures hall. Once you have arrived you can use the airport lounge. Enjoy the Aspire Lounge in the terminal of Belfast City Airport. Just a little more relaxed with beautiful views of the runway and free internet. The location is near gate 4.
Terminal map departures area
Ground transportation Belfast City Airport
It is easily accessible by taxi or private car via the A2 which runs between Holywood and Belfast. Another possibility with Belfast City departures is the train and bus.
- Train: The airport is minutes away from the center of the city center. You can easily travel by train from Sydenham station to Belfast Central Station. Another option is to Great Victoria Street. From here you can continue your journey in Ireland or to your final destinations in Belfast.
- Bus: Another option is to travel by bus. There is a special Express 600 service that runs twice an hour from the terminal to the Europa bus station in the center. This journey only takes 10 minutes. You could buy a bus ticket from the bus driver or the tourist desk in the terminal. The service is performed by Translink. For another region you can use the Airporter bus service. This runs to the Londonderry and Derry region.
- Car hire: there are on-site car rental agencies in the terminal. Rent a car at Avis, Budget, Europcar, Sixt, Hertz or Enterprise.
- Parking: there are three options for parking your car. If you want to park for a short time or simply want to be closest to the terminal, you can opt for Premier Parking. This parking location is a 2-minute walk away. There is a covered walkway to the terminal. If you want to have a short holiday or a weekend away, we recommend Short Stay Car Park. At a maximum of 5 minutes walk and so quickly on the way to ticketing to check in. If you are staying for a week or longer, we recommend Long Stay. This is a 10 minute walk from the main building. This is the cheapest option for parking. If you book online the prices are cheaper. If you only come for a pick up or drop off, you can use Short Stay. There the first 10 minutes are free and it is close to the terminal.
There are no hotels on the airport site but Belfast city center is fairly close by a 10 minute drive. Some good hotels in the city to stay in are the following:
- Ten Square Hotel
- Europa Hotel, Belfast
- Hampton by Hilton Belfast City Centre
- Maldron Hotel Belfast City
- The Merchant Hotel