Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat Airport
Address: 08820 El Prat de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Departments: Oficina d’informació turística de la Generalitat
Phone: +34 913 21 10 00
Airport code IATA: BCN
Elevation: 4 m
Junction for: LEVEL, Vueling Airlines
Alias: Aeroport Barcelona–El Prat
BCN departures today
About Barcelona El Prat Airport departures
Barcelona El Prat Airport (IATA abbreviation: BCN) is one of the largest airports in Spain after Madrid. It’s the home base of the carrier Vueling who offer most Barcelona airport departures. The full name is ‘Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat Airport’ or in Spanish ‘Aeroporto Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat’. The location is 8 miles south west of Barcelona city. The first BCN airport departures started as early as 1916 which is more than 100 years ago. Of the current three runways, the 07/25 has been in use for El Prat departures since 1948. The first flight before that was to New York. Over the years, the aviation sector has been expanded and renewed with terminals, control tower and runways.
Ground transportation Barcelona airport
- Train: Outside the old terminal 2 is the train station. The entrance is in the terminal. Every half hour the line R2 has Barcelona departures and runs in 20 minutes to Sants train station, a few miles outside the center. From here you can take the metro for departures to the center of Barcelona.
- Bus: Between 5:30 am and 00:30 am, the Aerobus runs every 5 to 10 minutes El Prat airport departures to Plaça Catalunya. For the journey to the airport you must pay attention to the bus number. Aerobus A1 goes to terminal T1 and A2 to terminal T2. For this return trip to the airport you can also board at Plaça España. There are also Barcelona El Prat airport departures at night in case of early flight departures.
- Taxi: the yellow-black taxis are in large numbers at the exits of Terminal 1 and 2. They run on the meter and take you to the center for around 25 to 30 Euro. Prices are slightly higher at night and in the weekend.
Barcelona El Prat Airport Terminals
There are two terminals at the airport that are several miles apart. You can travel back and forth by means of the free green shuttle bus that has Barcelona airport departures every 5-10 minutes to the other terminal.
- Terminal 1 was opened in 2009 and since then Barcelona flight departures have been operated. It is a large terminal that can handle many different aircraft processes. There are up to 60 gates, 258 check-in counters, 15 baggage carousels and many parking spaces in front of the terminal. There are two sections for flights within the Schengen area and for BCN departures outside the Schengen area. The maximum capacity is 55 million passengers per year.
- Terminal 2 is divided into A, B and C. This is an older terminal than 1. Most of the BCN airport departures of this terminal are operated by low cost carriers such as Easyjet, Transavia and Ryanair. Here, too, the terminal is divided into Schenen and Non-Schengen.
Barcelona airport flight routes
Airlines from all over the world come to Barcelona Airport. However, most flights are European. One of the busiest routes in the world is the one to Madrid-Barajas Airport. However, this has decreased a lot after the introduction of the high speed train. Vueling is the company with the most Barcelona El Prat departures (almost 40%). A close second is Ryanair followed by Easyjet, Air Europa and Iberia. Major European routes are going to:
- Palma de Mallorca Airport
- Menorca Mahon Airport
- Athens with Aegean Airlines
- Aer Lingus to Dublin
- Alitalia to Rome-Fiumicino Airport
- British Airways to Heathrow-London
- Finnair to Helsinki
- KLM and Transavia to Amsterdam / Eindhoven
- Norwegian Air to Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen
- Swiss Air to Zurich and Geneva.
Other frequently Barcelona departures routes are served by Vueling, Ryanair and Easyjet:
- London Gatwick / Luton
- Paris-Charles de Gaulle
- Copenhagen and many more.
Looking at flights outside of Europe, we see regular Barcelona El Prat airport departures with the following airlines and destinations:
- Air Arabia to Marrakesh, Tangier, Casablanca
- Seasonal flights with Air Canada to Montreal and Toronto
- Air China to Beijing and Shanghai-Pudong
- American Airlines to Miami
- Chicago-O’Hare, Philadelphia and JFK
- Arkia and El Al to Tel Aviv
- Asiana Airlines and Korean Air to Seoul-Incheon
- Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong
- Emirates to Dubai
- Singapore Airlines to Singapore
- United Airlines to Newark
Since 1990, the airport has seen a sharp increase in El Prat airport departures. With a temporary dip around 2008/2009, the airport has grown from 10 to 52 million passengers per year. In 2019, this was 344,558 Barcelona flight departures. In 2020 there will be a decrease to 12.7 million people due to the corona virus. Not all routes will be back by 2021 and the frequency will also be lower. The airport will undoubtedly have many departures to the Netherlands and abroad.