Cape Town International Airport
IATA code: CPT
ICAO code: FACT
Address: Matroosfontein, Cape Town, 7490, South Africa
Phone: +27 21 937 1200
CPT Departures today and tomorrow
About Cape Town International Airport departures
Cape Town Airport is the largest airport after Johannesburg Airport. Cape Town is located in the southwest of South Africa. The airport is located about 10 miles east of the city center. More than 10 million passengers fly to and from this airport every year. About eighty percent of passengers fly on domestic routes, with the route between Cape Town and Johannesburg being the busiest. The airport has two runways, a main terminal, an international terminal and a domestic terminal. The airport is modern and well-arranged.
Cape Town International Airport is located about twenty kilometres east of the center of Cape Town. Highway N2 connects the airport with the city center.
Most busy flight routes
- JNB – Johannesburg OR Tambo International
- KIM – Kimberley Airport
- BFN – Bloemfontein Airport
- DUR – Durban King Shaka International
- HDS – Hoedspruit Airport
- WDH – Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport, Namibia
- HLA – Johannesburg Lanseria International
- ELS – East London Airport, South Africa
- GRJ – George Airport
- PLZ – Port Elizabeth Airport
Terminal at Cape Town airport
The airport has a separate section in the terminal for the CPT departures. Domestic and international are handled separately after security / immigration. The departures hall is at level 2. After check-in and security, you should turn left for international Cape Town departures and right for domestic flights.
There is a Premier Lounge in both the domestic and international departures terminals. This is accessible to everyone. You just pay per visit. There is also a Smokers’ Lounge in the international section. This smoking area is free to enter.
Shops and restaurants
There are many shops to buy jewelry, accessories, electronics, beauty, and gifts. There are also several food & beverage places to drink a cup of coffee or a beer with different kind of food options.
Cape Town flight routes
There are 2 land tracks, 1 of which can be used for larger aircraft. There are about 94 thousand Cape Town Airport departures every year (Departure times Cape Town Airport). In total there were almost 11 million passengers in 2019. Most CPT departures are domestic with 80 percent. These are mainly operated by the airlines:
- South African Airways
- LIFT Airline
International flights to Paris, Hong Kong, Atlanta, Amsterdam and Frankfurt are operated by:
- Air France
- Delta Air Lines
- Cathay Pacific
- Local departure time 10:50 Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS)
- Travel time: 11 u 15 min
- Local arrival time: 22:05 Cape Town International Airport (CPT)
- Plane type: Boeing 777
- Flight number: KL 597
Getting to/from Cape Town Airport
There are different ways to travel from the airport to the city. With a taxi or Uber you can reach to the city center within half an hour. Depending on traffic of course. Be careful when taking a taxi because illegal taxi drivers try to recruit customers in the arrival hall. It is better to opt for the official taxis that are outside the taxi ranks. You can of course also order an Uber. You then know exactly what you have to pay in advance for your ride to your final destination in Cape Town.
Cape Town airport departures by bus is a cheap alternative. There are buses that run from the airport to the the center of Cape Town. From there you still have to get to your accommodation. Buses run until 10 pm.
Parkades near International Terminal:
- Parcade 1: Multi-level normal parking, pick-up area on ground floor
- Parcade 3: Shaded parking
Parkades near Domestic Terminal
- Parcade 2: Multi-level normal parking, valet parking service on ground floor
- Parcade 4: Shaded parking
- Parcade 5: Long stay parking
Many people go for the option to rent a car. This way you have the freedom to travel around. The offices of various car rental companies are located directly opposite the terminal. You get walk through a tunnel to get there.
We recommend that you reserve your rental car in advance. This prevents unpleasant surprises on site such as high prices or no availability.
There are mainly two hotels that are used for passengers who have a late or early flight. The hotels are also regularly used for passengers who have a long transfer.
- The nearest 2* hotel is Road Lodge Cape Town International Airport. It gets very good reviews on hotels.com. It is fully equipped and costs 40 euros / US dollar for a standard double room. An airport shuttle is available 24 hours a day.
- Another nearby hotel is Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport. This is a more luxurious 4* hotel and has a swimming pool and a few other facilities. They also offer an airport transfer. The price is from 70 euros.