Ponta Delgada – João Paulo II Airport
João Paulo II Airport,
9500-749 Ponta Delgada,
Tel: +351 (0) 296 205400
Fax: +351 (0) 296 286923
Owner: ANA – Empresa Pública de Aeroportos e Navegação Aérea
IATA code: PDL
ICAO code: LPPD
PDL Arrivals today
Experience Ponta Delgada – João Paulo II Airport arrivals
Ponta Delgada Airport is also called Juan Pablo II Airport in honor of Pope John Paul II, who visited the Azores in 1991. It is located on the island of São Miguel, near Ponta Delgada, in the Azores archipelago, Portugal. Ponta Delgada Airport is 2 km (1.2 miles) west of Ponta Delgada city center. The airport was inaugurated in August 1965 with the first Ponta Delgada arrivals. By May 1995, the new terminal was inaugurated to receive Ponta Delgada flight arrivals and received the name of John Paul II.
Ponta Delgada Airport flight routes
It offers domestic PDL airport arrivals from all the Azores Islands and Madeira, Faro, Lisbon, and Porto. It also has international São Miguel airport arrivals from Europe and North America. Some of these arrivals are coming from the following airports/cities:
- Lajes Field
- Santa Maria
- Praia Nelson Mandela International Airport Cape Verde
- Boston Logan International Airport United States
- Toronto Pearson International Airport Canada
Most of the arrivals will be with the airlines Azores Airlines, SATA Air Acores, TAP Air Portugal, and Ryanair.
This airport for 2018 could handle 1,904,310 passengers. The São Miguel arrivals increased to over 2 million in 2019 but dropped because the corona virus in 2020 and 2021. This is the busiest airport in the Azores and is in position 5 of the largest buildings managed by ANA Aeroportos de Portugal.
Transportation at Ponta Delgada Airport
- Take a Shuttle after Ponta Delgada airport arrivals: It has frequent departure from the Ponta Delgada airport to the main sites of the city such as Av. Príncipe do Mónaco, Av. Infante Dom Henrique, Rua de Lisboa, Av. Dom João III and Antero de Quental and Ramalho. The ANC Aerobus is a private transfer and shuttle service that operates between this airport and Ponta Delgada.
- Getting a cab after PDL arrivals: Taxis can be found in the arrivals area, and you can reach the center of Ponta Delgada in less than 5 minutes.
- Rent a car after Ponta Delgada arrivals: Ponta Delgada airport also offers car rental services with major companies. They are located on the ground floor in the arrivals area.
Ponta Delgada Airport Terminal
Ponta Delgada airport has a single passenger terminal for domestic Ponta Delgada flight arrivals from the archipelagos of the Azores, Madeira, and Continental Portugal. This airport also has international flights. It has two levels for the comfort of its clients.
The ground level is divided into the PDL airport arrivals area on the left side and the departure and check-in area that is on the right side of the building. At this level, you will also find ATMs, baggage claim for Ponta Delgada airport arrivals, information desk, passport control, post offices, taxi rental, food, and beverage stores.
The second level of the terminal will find restaurants, restrooms, baby facilities, and other services for the convenience of passengers. There are also duty-free shops at this airport, shops selling souvenirs, clothing, handicrafts, jewelry, and more.